Whether it's Up North, into the thumb, or just plain out of town, AAA Michigan estimates that 1.1 million Michigan residents will travel 50 miles or more on vacation during the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.
So as you prepare for your long weekend away, check out these interesting facts, and tell us: Will you be traveling this Memorial Day weekend?
Fun Facts about Memorial Day Travel
- Around 90 percent of the 30.7 million vacationers nationwide this weekend will travel by car, according to AAA Michigan.
- Gas prices stand at around $3.74 per gallon in the state, down 18 cents from last year.
- A survey of intended travelers conducted by AAA found that 53 percent said gas prices would not impact their Memorial Day travel plans.
- The average distance traveled is expeced to be 642 miles
- The top five driving destinations in Michigan this year are Frankenmuth, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Traverse City, according to TripTik