UPDATED: Trenton High School Evacuated After Anonymous Phone Call

Trenton High School received an anonymous phone call this morning and students and staff were moved to a safe area.

Students and staff at were evacuated out of the high school and moved to the athletic complex after the school received an anonymous phone call at about 10:20 a.m.

According to Superintendent John Savel, the high school was evacuated about 20 minutes after the phone call was received.

"We did get a phone call that involved an anonymous threat," Savel said.

He added he did not want to discuss the specifics of the phone call to avoid jeopardizing the ensuing investigation. School administration and the are currently investigating the call.

According to a press release by Dr. Michael Doyle, principal at Trenton High School, Trenton police and high school administration immediately began an investigation into the claim made in the phone call.

"We searched the whole building," Savel said. "The Trenton Police Department was very helpful and several officers were there and they, together with administration and custodians, were able to do a very efficient job."

During the course of the investigation all high school students and staff were moved to the football field located on the high school's campus.

"It was a precautionary evacuation," said Bret Woodley, athletics director for Trenton Public Schools.

After the investigation of the school, police deemed the high school to be a safe place for learning and all students and staff returned to the building.

Savel said students and staff were on the football field for about 40 minutes before being returned to the school.

He added that he was unsure of the credibility of the phone call, but anything that could potentially endanger the students had to be taken seriously.

This is only the second time the high school has been evacuated due to an anonymous phone call in the last six years, according to Savel.

Trenton Police Chief William Lilienthal could not be reached for comment.

According to the press release, parent/teacher conferences began at 2 p.m. and are scheduled to continue until 7 p.m. Teachers are scheduled to take a break from 4 p.m. until 5 p.m.

Check back for more information on this story.

Ian April 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM
They found a "suspicious package" in the West Road parking lot. That is why the police showed up again. But all that is over now and I still have to go to school tomorrow.
Sarah April 29, 2011 at 02:56 AM
You guys found a "suspicious package" k its more then that everyone knows what it is , & maybe trenton high should get cameras that acutally work ! This is crap call us off of school people are scared to go back! and good i hope the police do find out who called . we sat outside for the longest time freezing! But anways you should just come out and tell everyone what it really was , but calll uss off! no bodys even going tommorow anyways , and keep us updated , bye .
Adam Sayre April 29, 2011 at 07:16 PM
Being upset and freezing seems minor compared to the safety of your lives. Take a minute and think about it


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something