In the wake of Sunday’s boat rescue on Lake St. Clair just off St. Clair Shores, the is reminding people to use caution when taking a trip on the water.
, the Coast Guard recommends:
- Wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Check and monitor the marine weather forecast before any trip out onto the lakes.
- Notify family and friends where you are going and when you expect to be back—and stick to the plan. Be sure to notify them when plans change.
- Never venture out alone.
- Carry all required and recommended safety gear, including visual distress signals, sound producing device, registered personal locator beacon and in a VHF-FM marine radio.
- Boat sober. Don't drink and operate a boat.