Democratic Michigan insiders said President Barack Obama’s auto bailout will help his chances in the state in the November election: that’s the finding of this week’s inaugural Blue Mitten survey of influential Democrats.
Twenty-nine Democrats from the southeastern Michigan area were asked using an automated survey tool what they thought about how the auto bailout will affect Obama’s standing among Democrats and independents in Michigan.
Eighteen responses were collected.
All of the respondents said they agree or somewhat agree the bailout will help Obama win over Democrats in Michigan. Obama and other Democrats have said the 2009 federal bailout of General Motors and Chrysler saved jobs.
“His decisiveness on this issue is palpable compared to his opponent's ever-changing position,” one respondent said.
Respondents were almost as decisive in saying the bailout will help Obama win over independent voters in Michigan, with 72 percent saying they agree and the remaining 28 percent saying they somewhat agree.
One respondent believes “saving all of those jobs will surely influence voters.”
But not all share that view.
“It depends a lot on how independents feel about the Affordable Care Act and how strongly they agree or disagree with the plan,” one respondent said.
Democratic influencers also say that Mitt Romney’s opposition to the bailout has hurt his standing among Republicans in Michigan. In 2008, Romney wrote an editorial in The New York Times—entitled “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt”—that argued against giving federal money to the auto companies.
A little more than half—55 percent—agreed that Romney’s stance against the bailout will hurt him within his own party in the state. Another 17 percent said they somewhat agree. But the remaining 28 percent said they were neutral or said they disagree or somewhat disagree.
“I think Republicans will follow him regardless of what he does,” one respondent said.
Nevertheless, most respondents believed that Obama’s support for the bailout will resonate at the polls in November.
“GM and Chrysler are alive as a result of this President's efforts,” one respondent said. “A million jobs were saved. Our state economy is turned around as our anchor industry thrives again. How could any Michiganian NOT support the President? It would be downright ungrateful.”
“Every Michigan voter knows someone whose job was saved by the loans to GM and Chrysler and the admitted benefits to Ford,” another respondent said.
The Blue Mitten Survey
Our surveys are not a scientific random sample of any larger population but rather an effort to listen to a swath of influential local Democratic activists, party leaders and elected officials in Michigan. All of these individuals have agreed to participate in the surveys, although not all responded to this week's questions. Surveys were conducted between July 26 and Aug. 1, 2012.
Patch will be conducting Red Mitten and Blue Mitten surveys throughout 2012 in hopes of determining the true sentiment of conservatives and liberals on the ground in Michigan. If you are an activist, party leader or elected official and would like to take part in weekly surveys that lasts just a few minutes, please email Associate Regional Editor John Hetzler at email@example.com.
Blue Mitten roster: Vicki Barnett, State House Rep; Joanne Braund, Secretary, Royal Oak Area Democratic Club; Rose Christoph; Dorian Coston, candidate for State Rep;Colleen Crossey, Oakland County Democratic Delegate; Gary Cynowa, President of the North Macomb Democratic Club and District 10 Precinct Delegate; Judy Daubenmier, chair of Livingston County Democrats; Shawn Desai, Democratic Candidate for State Representative 47th District; Gretchen Driskell, Mayor of Saline; Gene Farber, West Bloomfield Township Board Trustee; Marcia Gershenson, Oakland County commissioner; Fred Hoffman; Mitzi Hoffman, former Chair, Royal Oak Area Democratic Club; Marilyn Krok, Oakland County Democratic Delegate; Kathi Kuehnel, Oakland County Democratic Delegate; Carmella Langley, Oakland County Democratic Delegate; Erik Lindquist; Deb Lobring; Jeff Long; Daniel Marcin, candidate for U.S. Representative; Gwen Markham, candidate for Oakland County commissioner; Jim Nash, Oakland County commissioner; Kevin Shopshire, member of Livingston County Democrats; Mike Smith, candidate for White Lake Township Supervisor; Walt Sobczak, Oakland County Democratic Delegate; Mark Steckloff; Regina Strong, candidate for State Rep; Scott Warheit, Royal Oak Crime Prevention Council, and 2011 candidate for Royal Oak City Comission; Karen Zyczynski, Oakland County Democratic Delegate