Oakwood Healthcare wants something for Christmas: less heart-related hospital visits.
As such, the Dearborn-based health system will be hosting a series of Holiday Heart Check events on Saturday, Dec. 15. The events will offer the community a variety of free health screenings and education material focused on heart attack and stroke prevention.
“The holiday season can be one of the most stressful times of the year, which also makes it the perfect time for individuals to be vigilant about their cardiovascular health—particularly when it comes to stress-induced illnesses such as heart attack and stroke,” said Dr. Samir Dabbous, Oakwood cardiologist. “We encourage the community to join us for these free screenings or to schedule a visit with a physician to assess your risk and learn more about what you can do to prevent cardiovascular-related illnesses.”
Oakwood is partnering with three regional businesses to host the Holiday Heart Check this Saturday. Locations and times include:
- The Henry Ford (20900 Oakwood Blvd. in Dearborn) from 9 a.m. to noon
- Fairlane Town Center (18900 Michigan Ave. in Dearborn) from 9 a.m. to noon
- Emagine Woodhaven (21720 Allen Road in Woodhaven) from 1-4 p.m.
Each location will feature Oakwood trained medical professionals who will provide:
- Free heart health screenings including blood pressure and stroke risk assessments
- Counseling specific to each participants results as to any necessary next steps
- Educational material about stroke and heart attack prevention
- Information about Oakwood’s same day appointment locations
In addition to screening and educational information, Oakwood is guaranteeing attendees same day appointments through all of its primary care offices.
“If you are in need of immediate attention, we will always refer you to the ER,” said Dabbous. “However, for those attendees and to the general public with acute illnesses or in need of evaluation, we encourage you to take advantage of this new convenient feature that our dedicated medical staff offers at several locations.”
For more information about Oakwood’s Holiday Heart Check or to schedule a same day appointment with a physician call 1.800.543.WELL or visit www.oakwood.org.