Patch Picks: Top Family Friendly Restaurants
- Mom’s Family Restaurant: The Scene: With a sign touting “mom” and “family,” images of made-from-scratch food in a welcoming environment screams family-friendly. Family owned and operated for almost 20 years, the laid back, casual atmosphere at Mom’s is inviting for families, and the bustling dining area indicates a loyal customer base, one that is receptive of “kid behavior.” For a delicious home cooked meal that you don’t have to prepare, take your family to Mom’s for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, with children’s menus for any time of the day. And don’t forget to try their famous rice pudding for dessert!
- George’s Family Restaurant: The Scene: It’s no wonder the parking lot is always packed at George’s since customers describe the food as “better than mom’s” and the atmosphere as one in which they “feel at home.” Serving the best homemade food at ridiculously low prices, their soups, bread, and cheesy potatoes are the ultimate comfort foods and taste just like they came from your own kitchen. While the outside is plain, simple, and easily passed over, this little restaurant in the corner is one to visit for exceptional value, food, and service.
- Thio’s Coney Island & Pizzeria: The Scene: What kid doesn’t like pizza and hot dogs? Maybe not the most health conscious options for kids, but this pleasant little diner has a little bit of everything, appealing to picky youngsters as well as more established palates. From classic American favorites to Greek specialties, Thio’s menu contains options that can whittle your waistline, like their famous Julienne salad, or allow for an overindulgent evening of build-your-own Coney dogs. For families in a hurry after a baseball practice or dance lesson, this Coney Island and pizzeria has a drive-through for a quick, take home dinner.
- Boston Market: The Scene: The restaurant that can help you solve the question “What’s for dinner?”, Boston Market serves hearty home-style family meals that are wholesome, convenient, and great-tasting. Their slow roasted rotisserie chicken is ready when you are, and fresh, all natural ingredients serve up great tasting food you can feel good about serving to your family. Boston Market makes dinner easy with family meals comprised of various entrées and gourmet sides, made to serve smaller families of three or up to larger six person families.
- Del’s Pizzeria & Restaurant: The Scene: Voted Downriver’s Best Kept Secret by the Detroit Free Press, this landmark restaurant has been serving homemade pizza in the same location since 1953. The house special with cheese, pepperoni, ham, Italian sausage, mushrooms, green pepper, and onion is a favorite for adults, while kids can dine on a simple cheese and pepperoni pizza. Not just a typical pizza joint, Del’s does old-fashioned Italian right, offering numerous Italian specialties such as the renowned stuffed pasta shells. Del’s menu prices are budget friendly and they also offer printable coupon specials on their website www.delspizza.net/.