Some of my thoughts on the current state of sports.
1. I would rather win my fantasy football league than see the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl.
2. The recent trend of allowing offensives in the N.F.L. to run rampant is bad for the game; too much scoring is boring. (Hey! That rhymes!) But it was nice to see good defenses beat good offenses last weekend. Defense still wins championships.
3. The Detroit Red Wings are the most successful team the city of Detroit has ever seen. I’m still amazed that they don’t get more recognition.
4. The longer it takes LeBron James to win a championship, the longer I will watch the N.B.A. The King’s inability to win a championship is fascinating on so many levels. (Part me thinks he doesn’t care.)
6. Justin Verlander is the best pitcher I’ve ever seen in person.
7. The Detroit Pistons should never have signed Tayshaun Prince this past offseason. His attitude was irrevocably altered by the likes of Richard Hamilton and Ben Wallace. And not in a good way. He’s setting bad examples for the future Pistons, like Rodney Stuckey.
8. Unless the Lions upgrade their defense, they are not a Super Bowl contender, contrary to what everybody thinks.
9. Tom Izzo is the best coach in college basketball.
10. I don’t think Ray Lewis would be “Ray Lewis” during pre-game if there wasn’t a camera in his face while he fires up his defense.