A pressure release valve at the Trenton Channel Power Plant caused to echo through Trenton and Grosse Ile early Tuesday morning, and some Patch readers said it's not the first time this has happened.
Scott Simon, spokesman for DTE Energy, said at about 2:30 a.m. power plant workers were restarting a generating unit, which caused steam to be released for about 90 minutes.
Simon said the noise was an isolated incident with no environmental impact or injuries.
Some Patch readers described the noise as similar to a jet engine. Other readers said the steam woke and scared their children.
Nearly 100 Patch readers commented about the incident on the Trenton-Grosse Ile Patch Facebook page.
Patch readers Natalie Cruz-Gross and Mary Hartman Cox Lehmann said similar noises have come from the power plant in the past.
"The humming noise has been a complaint of mine for years," Cruz-Gross said.
Here's what some other readers had to say:
- Mary Tuttle Mundt: 2000 block of Grange..it went on for hours and was very annoying and outrageously loud. My kids slept thru it. I did not, but I'm not a complainer. Did they notify surrounding communities that they were going to do it? If not, perhaps they should consider that in the future.
- Tom Maskeny: I live on Lenox in Trenton. I heard it. It sounded like a jet engine. It would wind up then shut down. I figured it was coming from the DTE quarry and didn't give it much thought.
- Stephanie Keffer: There is a noise ordinance police should ticket them so uncool.
- Jenny Bebber: West river rd on Grosse Ile. My house shook from the loud noise! This lasted for over four hours! Whatever was going on needs to be done during the daytime not night!!
- Lindsey Ashmore Hale: Didn't hear it but you'd think with everything in the news latley they would give a warning it was coming.
- Lora Schaller This has happened "occasionally" for years. I knew right away what it was.
Several readers also commented on the article found on Trenton-Grosse Ile Patch:
- Paul: I dont know what bothers me more, the fact that Edison rep acts like this is a one time deal or the fact that they think residents are stupid. The humming noise has been going on for years. The noise was not that off a steaming tea kettle that is the other noise that comes from DTE. Last night was the sound of a jet plan hovering. Enough is enough. Fix your equipment or move. Maybe a call to Channel 7,4,2 is in order.
- Anne: This was the third time in the last few weeks that I have heard this. The other times were during the day though. Is the plant not operating properly? I hope this doesn't happen on a regular basis.
- Jeffery M. Wysocki: I guess another question could be. If there was to be a epic failure at the plant, what is the protocol to advise the plants neighbors? I'm sure yesterday's event was also heard by parts of Grosse Ilse, and Brownstown Twp. also. Mmmmmm! I guess ash on your home and property was last weeks notification!!!