Non-Hazardous Material Goes Airborne in Trenton
A non-hazardous material used to make a safety feature for automotive windshields was accidentally released into the air Tuesday morning.
Trenton residents were under no threat of danger Tuesday when a non-hazardous dry chemical accidentally went airborne at Eastman Chemical Company, 5045 W Jefferson Avenue, in Trenton, according to plant manager Gary Williams.
Poly vinyl butyral -- used in making a film that prevents auto glass from shattering -- is a dry white powder that is absolutely non-toxic, Williams said.
High winds carried the chemical from Eastman to the Trenton Waste Water Treatment Plant, where Eastman crews cleaned up the material using trucks equipped with vacuums.
"The Waste Water Treatment Plant had no concerns," Williams said. "They were happy with the clean-up."