A memorial service for James Farrell was scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23 at St. James Episcopal Church on Grosse Ile.
Farrell, a township public works employee, died after a trench collapsed on top of him while he attempted to fix a broken water main. He was trapped under ground for nearly 14 minutes.
Farrell was transported to Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit where he died on Jan. 28.
Farrell is the father of Brandon, brother of Jack (Carole) Hayward, Jean (Bob) Beaubien, Judy (Ricco) Righetti, and John (Barb) Farrell. Farrell is also survived by his friend Donna Darin-Volz, as well as numerous nieces and nephews, according to Martenson Family Funeral Homes, Inc.
Memorials may be made to James E. Farrell Estate.
- Grosse Ile officials said, "Jim, a lifelong resident of Grosse Ile, worked for the Township for over 11 years. His positive attitude, upbeat demeanor and cheery "Good Morning" will be missed by the staff of the Township and the entire community. Sincere condolences go out to friends and the entire family of James Farrell."
- LINDA J HARMON: We take all these for granted. Prayers to you all.
- Kimberly Ariganello: Prayers for him and his family.
- Jeff Jones: Prayers for this worker, his family and the rest of the GI DPS guys. These guys know their stuff, but this is dangerous work!
- Dawn Barnsdale: Prayers going out- I know him and his son- very tragic.