Trenton Public School officials had many athletic accomplishments to choose from before selecting J.J. Putz as the first Trenton High School graduate to have a jersey retired at the school.
Here's a list of Putz's stats since he graduated in 1995, provided by Trenton High School officials:
- Scholarship to U of M
- Drafted by Chicago White Sox
- Drafted by Seattle Mariners
- Played with Seattle Mariners 2003-2008
- Major League Relief Pitcher of the Year – 2007
- Major League Rolaids Relief Pitcher of the Year
- New York Mets 2009 World Baseball Classic
- Chicago White Sox 2010
- Selected to American League All Star Team – 2007
- Arizona Diamondbacks – 2011 to present
- 513 Innings Pitched
- 541 Strike Outs
- 180 Saves as Closer
- Career ERA 3.07
Athletic Director Bret Woodley said Putz was the obvious choice do to his lengthy professional career and impressive statistics.
"As of today, I would consider him to be the most accomplished athlete (from Trenton High School)," Woodley said. "He has a very accomplished career in Major League Baseball."
Woodley said he wants to put a Putz jersey on a banner along the outfield fence in the high school baseball field, so it can easily be seen from home plate.