Free Tax Preparation Available Near Trenton and Grosse Ile
Income-eligible Wayne County residents can either have their taxes done for free by a trained tax preparer or can access a free online tax preparation system to do it themselves.
If you haven't yet completed your income taxes for this year, you could be in luck.
Wayne County residents who earned $50,000 or less last year are eligible to have their taxes prepared for free at Wyandotte's Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency.
The free assistance is in partnership with Wayne County Asset Building Coalition.
Single filers who made $50,000 are eligible, as are households whose combined incomes fall below the $50,000 threshold.
"Wayne Metro's trained tax preparers filed 4,000 returns in 2011 & 2012, bringing over $2.9 million dollars in returns back to low and moderate-income families," the organization said on its website.
While appointments are suggested by calling 734-284-6999, walk-ins are accepted.
The free assistance is available at Wayne Metro's offices at 2121 Biddle from 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturdays, through April 13.
Free tax preparation also is available for eligible Wayne County residents from 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays through April 11 at Taylor Human Service Center, 26650 Eureka, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fridays through March 8 at Hamtramck Public Library, 2360 Caniff.
A number of single-day free tax prep events also are scheduled throughout the county. See the PDF above for a full list.
What You'll Need
Anyone applying for free tax assistance must bring several documents with them at the time the taxes are prepared.
- Your Social Security card and cards for all claimed dependents
- Valid Picture ID
- IRS Intake Form (download from the PDF tab above and complete at home)
Proof of Income
- Wages (all Forms W-2)
- Social Security Disability (1099-SSDA)
- Gambling/Lottery Winnings (Form W-2G)
- Interest and Dividends (Form 1099-INT and/or 1099-DIV)
- Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
- Pension (Form 1099-R)
- Miscellaneous Income (Form 1099-Misc)
- Other relevant information about income
- Supplemental Security Income (Form 1099-SSI/Form 1099-SSD), Letter from SSA
- VA total monthly benefit or sum for the year from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs
Proof of Expenses
- Total amount paid for day care and the day care provider's tax identification number (the individual's Social Security #)
- Student Loan Interest, Tuition and Expenses.
- Total amount of Heating Costs paid in 2008.
For Direct Deposit
- Bank or Credit Union name, routing number and account numbers.
- Proof of taxable value of your home and amount of property taxes paid for summer and winter.
- Mortgage Interest (Form 1098)
- Lease or rental contract for the tax year.
- Landlord's name, address & zip codes.
- Copy of last year federal and state tax returns.
Make a Little More Than $50,000?
Individuals and families throughout Wayne County who earned up to $57,000 last year can prepare their own taxes online for free. Those interested need to first complete a short online survey and then will be provided with a link to the free, online tax preparation website.